[Rhodes22-list] lee helm and mast rake

Peter Thorn pthorn at nc.rr.com
Fri Mar 9 08:53:20 EST 2007

Slim,

Here's a picture of Raven taken in December with the mast up for sail
measuring.  It shows some mast rake, looks like about 12" aft of
perpendicular.  The boat was set up pretty well when I  bought it from the
Kaynor's and I saw no need to change anything.  The head stay length is
28.32 feet from pin bearing point to pin bearing point.  I think PO Gary
Sanford set it up that way, perhaps to get the CE aft to balance.  With the
standard board full down and the 175 close-hauled there's just a hint of lee
helm in light air.

Frankly, I don't like lee helm and have read somewhere that a touch of
weather helm provides lift from the rudder going to windward.  Perhaps a
longer headstay would help, but I want to try the new 155 first.

Ed,

Thanks for the reference.  My new 155 arrived and she looks like a dandy.
Consistent with your comment/quote, North designers cut the 155 with a leech
cove (opposite of a roach), so maybe they saw your catalog too :)

PT