[Rhodes22-list] the documentary

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 08:17:49 EST 2007

Ed,

The New York Times published a front page article last Monday on "peak oil",
the gist of which is that new technologies are finding more oil from old oil
fields.  The "new technology' they cited was waterflood and steam injection
which is at least 30 years old.  Exxon spent tens of millions of dollars in
the Salem-Louden anti-cline (three miles from my hometown) in the Illinois
Basin field.  It works but we're talking about a marginal increase in
production in mature fields.  The author completely ignored oil patch
experts such as Matthew Simmons,( "Twilight in the Desert"), discussing the
increasing water cut in Saudi production or statements from the former CEO
of Exxon discussing the difficulty of discovering new major fields.  The
NYT's is typical of the modern media, go with the chosen angle and ignore
competing facts.  I can't "prove" peak oil and more than others can "prove"
global warming.  But the market eventually will.  Our alternatives are more
coal and tar sands, neither of which should make the global warming
alarmists happy.

Nukes anyone?  Hello, anyone listening?

Brad