[Rhodes22-list] Rex's Spreader shims

Charles Henthorn rexh at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 12 11:56:08 EDT 2007

Bill
     I'm going to re-think the winter configuration next year.  This past year I got the large tarp from Harbor Freight that several us discussed here last fall, lowered the mast to use it as support for the tarp and built a tent with the boat sitting on the trailer.  It worked very well the entire winter until the blizzard we encountered about 2 weeks ago.  Between the winds gusting to 40mph and the weight of snow that didn't slide off, the tarp ripped right down middle along the mast but, in the process caused one of the 2x4 supports I had constructed under each spreader to become dislodged and permitted that side of the tarp to sag pulling the spreader down causing no damage except chipping the side out of the shim on that side.   I used the tarp fearing the snow would accumulate in the cockpit, turn to ice (as it does here so frequently), plug up the scupper and then cause damage to the cockpit.
  Rex

Bill Effros <bill at effros.com> wrote:
  PS -- Rex, I see more damage done to boats with tarps than without in
places where snow falls.

Bill Effros