[Rhodes22-list] Economics - or the lack thereof

TN Rhodey tnrhodey at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 25 10:14:29 EDT 2007

Brad,

The writer really doesn't cover all of the issues. I do agree that the
government should keep out however many points overlooked. The article does
not mention what happens when this spills over to the "conforming" loan
market....and it will. The finance markets were in big swings last week so
to say the market has corrected is not quite true. The article also does not
consider how this will effect the amount of disposable incomes families will
have to spend on HDTVs and new cars to drive the economy. There are millions
of Interest Only, ARMs, and Baloon loans that are not considered sub-prime.
To limit the damage to the sun-prime housing market only is a little naive
and shows the author does not understand all of the potential problems.

I am not mentioning doom and gloom but it was clear to see that the housing
market was driving the economy much like the dot coms.  Easy credit
(investment), greed, and creative accounting was driving the stock
growth.... not good economic balance. People will not be able to make the
consumer good purchases that are driving the economy because they are living
in houses they can't afford.

I guess my point was/is that our economy wasn't as rosy as some claimed and
was due for a major correction with the housing industry being one of the
key causes. This has already happened. Toss in the cost of the war, the cost
of entitlements, the military, paying off existing debt.....I wish I had
Brad's rose colored glasses.

On a positive note I went sailing yesterday and it was beautiful in East TN!

Wally