[Rhodes22-list] Economics

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 16:03:10 EDT 2007

Wally,

You can't legislate away the business cycle.  It is foolish to think that
any commodity can go up forever, real estate included. Too bad for those
people who overextended themselves, including the bankers.  Let them all
fall on their face and be done with it!   I've been telling everyone the
economy was good for the last few years because it has been good for the
last few years.  Not once did I ever say it would go on forever.  Our debt
as a percentage of GNP is well manageable, including the cost of the war,
but we can't keep spending on entitlement programs, especially social
security with the coming baby boom retirements, and expect things to stay
healthy. Look at where the money goes!  Our defense spending as a per cent
of GNP ain't Jack Shit compared to entitlements.  Do the math at  on that
before you go ballistic.  I don't wear rose colored glasses, I wear a green
eyeshade (must be that accounting undergrad thing).  Anyone who thinks we
can compete in the global market with our population growing more and more
dependent on the federal government is hiding behind the roses or just
doesn't understand basic macro-economics. The new economic front is India
and China.  They are already looking over their shoulder at Vietnam.  This
is a small globe and any prudent investor hedges his/her bets by putting
some money in the places that are kicking our ass. I don't drink Kool-Aid
when it comes to economics, I'm a realist and a history buff.  You should
worry about government spending - every 'nanny' government in the last
century has either failed or changed drastically (think Soviet Union and
China in that order).  EuroIslamia is next.  We're probably on the leading
edge of a correction (recession).  That's time to go shopping for bargains -
things are about to go on sale.

Wally, it would be damned difficult for me to do my career over again.  The
government, in their efforts to save everyone from themselves has almost
killed general aviation.  You can't hang around the airport fence as a
teenager and beg for a job.  This development in my industry is pervasive
through out our economy.  We're getting our asses kicked in growth rates as
a result. Combine the heavy hand of the federal government with
over-regulating everything and the propensity to over tax and we're the
also-ran in the global marketplace. I know you don't like the war but what
would we do with the money we saved?  Give it back to the taxpayers.  Hell
no!  We'd find more 'victims' to spend it on.

Brad