[Rhodes22-list] Economics

TN Rhodey tnrhodey at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 28 08:42:07 EDT 2007

Dave,

I will admit my views may be a little out of the box but I say buyer beware.
If you don't understand what you are signing don't sign. I guess i should
disclose I have been in Sales and Sale Management all my life including a 4
year stint as a Regional Manager in the Mortgage Division of a large bank.
So my opinion may be biased but if people can't or wouldn't read their paper
work they should hire an attorney. In fact some states (GA for example)
require an actual attorney to "close" the loan. There are already laws in
place to protect the consumer. Every fee, cost, and all payment info is
disclosed prior to close. If it is a refinance you even have 3 days to
change your mind.

One should be able to figure out if they can afford the payment. So I blame
the lender for being stupid enough to underwrite the loan but the consumer
should not stick their head in the sand and just blindly sign.

Pretty much all sub-prime loans are sold on the secondary market to hedge
funds and investment groups. They make brokers and lending institutions buy
back loans that are proven fraudulent or you lose your license. In fact this
is what is shutting down many lenders now. There is no longer a market for
the low end loans.

The secondary marker has no confidence in the quality of the loans and will
no longer buy them. These loans that used to sell for over 100% of value are
now being sold "scratch and dent" for 70 cents on the dollar. This is a part
of the industry that few understand. These riskly loans wind up being owned
by investment funds that are part of many 401Ks and mutual funds. This is
one of the main reasons market has recently "corrected".

As for time share experience.......I have always passed. I figure if someone
is offering me a free place to stay they must be trying to sell me
something. No surprise. What do people expect? If you don't like the sales
pitch go pay for a room. My neighbor came back from the beach complaining
about the pushy time share guy...they actually wanted him to listen to the
whole sales pitch. Imagine that!

By the way I have never been a high pressure sales type. Most of my
employment has been in Business to Business selling/consulting and my only
experience in consumer/retail selling has been mortgages. It was an eye
opener and I will admit there are many crooks out there however there are
plenty of laws in place. If you don't like what you are being told move on.

Wally