[Rhodes22-list] Big Green Egg

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Fri Mar 30 11:07:56 EDT 2007

Richard,

The BGE will reach 700-900 degrees in 15 minutes without harming the
ceramic shell if you use fresh charcoal and not too much of it.  Coat
the steak with butter/salt/pepper.  Leave the steak on the grill for 5
minutes.  Open the BGE, flip the steak, close the BGE and cut off the
air supply both above and below.  Insert a temperature probe.  Allow the
steak to bake to it's proper degree of  doneness.

If you start with excellent meat, it makes a sensational steak, properly
grilled on both sides, that will rival the best steaks served in the
best steak houses.  We like Peter Lugar in Brooklyn, and the steaks we
pull out of the BGE will rival Peter Lugar steaks.

I have an infrared oven which I use when I'm too lazy to start a fire.
I prefer steaks grilled on the BGE.

The only downside I see to the BGE is the size of the cavity.  My family
is down to 2, so there is plenty of room for the amount of food we need
to cook for ourselves.  A lot of grill management is required to cook
multiple items for more people.  I cook an 18 lb Turkey for
Thanksgiving, but that's about the maximum.  On the other hand, many
foods can be smoked in advance and reheated in a conventional oven while
more food is in the BGE.  Smoked, frozen, reheated food is almost
indistinguishable from freshly smoked food.  I am smoking and freezing
for my boat this summer.  I will reheat and serve as the food thaws.
I'll let you know how this works out.  I think it will be better than
watching a steak slide off the grill and into the water.

I have also burned through a number of sheet metal grills, and finally
decided the $700 BGE would cost me no more in the long run.  It is
important to emphasize that lump charcoal is very different from
charcoal briquets.  I have cooked on both lump charcoal and wood.  I
prefer lump charcoal.

The Kamado and the BGE are essentially the same tool.

In Miami, every Cuban family has a 55 gallon oil drum cut in half with a
grill on top next to the pool.  A lot of them grill pig every weekend.
It sure smells good!  That's where my wife drew the line.

Bill Effros