[Rhodes22-list] Close Haul Question

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Tue May 22 10:47:24 EDT 2007

Mary Lou,

It was GPS and you're right, we have extreme currents in the Eastern Bay.
I'm amazed how strong the current is when it squeezes through Kent Narrows.
Some sailboats with small outboards can't make it.  I was told that the big
chop comes from the wind blowing in the opposite direction of the current,
but we had huge chop yesterday and I think wind and current were both going
in the same direction.  The least amount of chop was when I got out in the
Chesapeake--more space between waves.  My destination was the 164' hole next
to the Bloody Point Lighthouse.  I doubt that I'll ever sail out into the
Atlantic, so that's probably the most water that'll ever be beneath my boat.
Had to adjust my depthfinder to get a reading.

Good point on the side deck leads.  I gained less than 5 degrees into the
wind using the cabintop leads versus the side deck, and it really reduced
the amount of headsail.

Thanks!

Lee