[Rhodes22-list] Genoa size and usage

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Thu May 24 07:59:29 EDT 2007

Rummy,
I don't often question you on sailing the Rhodes but I'll have to see
your furled 175 to believe it. We obviously need to get down to
Hartwell one of these days for a demo.

My own opinion is that in light to moderate air (5-10 knots) the 175
is great and is indeed the best sail for the boat. It works well
furled from 10 to 15 knots. In light air and flat water the 175 may
be the best sail for the boat, but we rarely get flat water on the
Bay (hoping for more now that we will get out more midweek). In 5
knots or less the heavy 175 tends to collapse as the boat rocks or
pitches. It's why we added the UPS sail. You can't point as high but
you can point with it and it is much more generous about refilling
after all the air is dumped.

Another question - up to what winds will you pole out the genoa from
the shrouds? Are you concerned about the stresses on the shroud in a
gust from a different direction?

Mary Lou