[Rhodes22-list] Reply to David Culp on Genoa Size...

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Fri May 25 07:51:14 EDT 2007

   David,

	From your description of your sailing lake, I thought you were describing
Lake Hartwell, aka, Rummy’s Private Impoundment.

	Yes Lake Hartwell has one stretch near the dam that with the correct winds
you can sail almost one mile.  However, even there the constantly changing
peninsulas and associated coves and inlets make for constant sail
adjustments.  That is inland lake sailing.

	I have the 175 on my Rhodes with Stan’s furling system.  You will be
wasting $$$ just to change to a CDI to occasionally change foresails.  In my
humble opinion, you just have not learned to properly adjust your sails.

	If you gain skill at sail adjustment, you will be able to attain good sail
shape.  If you expect your sails to work like a television, just push a
button and change shape, well that is a common problem with present day
folks.  I call it the television personality syndrome.

	As to your understanding of the sail plan on the Rhodes 22 and if it is
good and proper, original plan was by a proven navel architect and its
subsequent modification were by engineer who became a navel engineer over
the last 60 years.  The plan has been modified and refined many times based
on  empirical feedback to Stan from owners and users.

	Furthermore, the plan came from successful deployment on other sailboats
and the variations tested by others striving to achieve optimal sail plans.
Before you in your youth disparage this sail plan, read several books by
recognized authorities on sails.  Before you actually buy some good books on
sails, go to the Sail Net Article Library and to the different manufactures
of sails web sites and study.

	In a couple of years, I expect you will better appreciate what you have.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA
Addendum:”Leadership above all must be personal, dynamic and direct, that
the 'living presence' of the commander must infect every man of his
command.” H. Essame