[Rhodes22-list] Thanks Al

Al Miller al_shell at verizon.net
Thu May 24 21:41:15 EDT 2007

Evening everyone,

The 'club-footed' comment came from my visit with a sailor with a 53
footer...He was rigged for single handle sailing sloop rigged with an inner
forestay (maybe like the UPS setup).  I'm not sure if it's a regulation
sloop rig, but he said the foresail had a 'club foot'.  I'm not really sure,
but it looked like a short spin-pole to me.  I could be goofy on this.

He was refurbishing his boat and I was really taken with his work...all done
himself.  He showed 1st mate Michelle and me his pics to the Dry Tortugas on
his laptop while we visited in his cabin...He fixed/upgraded the A/C,
freezer, did some stainless steel welding on the stern for grilling and an
electronics platform for his new charting GPS electronics and radar, a
genset, etc...He is retired Air Force gentleman with lots of talents.

He said that his pension paid for his monthly interests and that his wife
originally suggested sailing instead of their regular bowling
activities...He lost her and gained a new love, as Stan says sometimes
happens.

Short story...I really have no firm idea of what a 'club-foot' is!

Sorry so longwinded,
Al
S/V Mishka
Tampa, FL