[Rhodes22-list] Barrier Coat

Hank hnw555 at gmail.com
Fri May 25 09:14:31 EDT 2007

Hello fellow Rhodies,

I'm trying to decide if I should put a barrier coat on my '84 that I bought
last fall.  When we bought the boat, the anti-fouling bottom paint was in
atrocious condition.  I used Peel Away to get it off and am now down to the
gelcoat.  I do not see any evidence of blisters in the gelcoat.  My original
thought was that I would put on a barrier coat since I was down to this
point, but after doing more research, I figure it will cost nearly $400 in
materials and is a bit of a PITA to do.  Do any of you have an opinion on
this?  Have you ever needed tp put a barrier coat or experienced blisters on
your boats?  Is it really worth it or necessary or should I just put on the
bottom paint and go sailing?

As usual, your comments are greatly appreciated.

Hank

P.S.  Hopefully I will finally meet Elton today or tomorrow as he is passing
nearby with a new bimini and some other parts for me.