[Rhodes22-list] Key Largo-final post

petelargo petelauritzen at earthlink.net
Sun May 27 09:34:07 EDT 2007

I pulled the boat out yesterday and put it to bed on the trailer. All went
smooth. I am headed back to North Carolina after 5 months in Key Largo on
TUESDAY. I will be putting RHODES on Lake Watauga about 25 minutes from my
house in Valle Crucis. It was a weird sailing season. High winds ruled
almost the entire time. A rough way to learn. I  averaged just about one day
a week of sailing. The entire time I was down here I had only one day where
it was a steady 10 kts all day.

A couple of things to get back to me on:

1) The sail lofts in the keys are very expensive. Someone kindly did send me
their old main sail to use while down here. But I do want to get my ripped
sail repaired. Since I really can mail the sail anywhere, could someone
recommend a sail loft that they know is reasonable and does great work.
Thanks.

2) I did end up buying the FORTRESS ANCHOR, billed as the greatest anchoring
system since sliced cheeze. However, I could not get it to "stick" in the
morrel muck down here. It just slid along the bottom even on soft mud mode.
I thought I got the right size, but maybe need to go one size larger.
Thoughts?

3) Is anybody on or near LAKE WATAUGA?

4) A comment. I have the vertical-baton sail. When the borrowed sail came it
was not vertical-baton. BUT, I did notice while sailing that 75% of the
"belly" was eliminated on the older sail without the vertical-baton. I never
experienced that the RHODES was ever under canvased and so question the
improvement of the vertical-baton resulting in x amount more sail area. What
can I say, I don;t want captains seats or a porcelain toilet either. I am
seriously considering 'fixing' my sail to be without the vertical-baton. 2
cents.

5) The next amenity I do want is whatever piece fits into the cockpit 'slot'
and cushion that makes it one big bed area. Is this a piece of fiberglass
that folds somehow and can fit into the v-berth for storage or how does it
work. Has anybody just measured a piece of marine plywood to fit there and
gotten their own cushion. Let me know.