[Rhodes22-list] Furler drum part missing

John Lock jlock at relevantarts.com
Thu May 31 11:15:19 EDT 2007

At 08:22 PM 5/30/2007 -0400, Arthur H. Czerwonky wrote:
>Even a new furler requires deliberate juggling.  You have a GB
>furler, enhanced by Rodger with a top plate.  If tension is
>maintained on both lines, the line can tangle, even with a new
>unit.  Like mentioned to another skipper by one of our well
>experienced sages - practice of the sailing skills is part of the
>pleasure we have on our boats.

Thanks for the additional info.  My original post may have been
misinterpreted.  I do not intend to replace the furler.  It works
just fine, other than the occasional tangle at the drum head.  I was
just wondering if a cover could be obtained after-market to help with
the problem.

After further analysis and a few practice furls at the dock, I have a
better feel for the nature of the problem (and a potential solution).

The furling line is lead thru a swivel block fixed to the deck just
aft of the furler (you can see it in that photo).  This means that if
there is no tension on the line, the block falls flat on the deck,
taking the line with it.  The angle thus formed encourages the line
to fall off the spool as it tries to wind on.

So... I'm going to mount a fairlead on the pulpit upright that's next
to the furler (and another one a little farther back on the second
upright).  This will be mounted at a level that will feed the furling
line directly onto the spool, whether it's tensioned or not.  It's
probable that enough slack in the line could still invite a tangle,
but I think the odds will be greatly reduced.

I agree that learning to handle the lines is part of sailing and I
really do enjoy that for the most part.  But I also like to minimize
the cases where my incompetence causes more problems.

P.S. Art - I already love the boat!  It's gradually being transformed
into my own variation, but it's all good. :-)

Cheers!

John Lock