[Rhodes22-list] Brad, flying, airplanes, 'Tort Reform'

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Wed Nov 7 08:31:15 EST 2007

Brad said, I confronted her, "is he a patient or a prisoner?"  She ran for
one of the doctors.  Doc says, "I don't recommend leaving."

"OK Doc, you've made your obligatory statement for liability purposes, if
this was your son would you put him through all this for a flesh wound?"

"Probably not."

The bill for that experience was over $6000.  Makes you wonder why health
care is so expensive.

Can anyone say TORT REFORM?

Brad”

Brad, you ought to see it from the inside.  I have.  You said CAT scan.
Most people and that includes emergency room nurses and doctors who order
the scans do not know the total exposure to radiation that those exams give.
Nor do they appreciate the potential results of that ionizing radiation.

Yes, some has to do with liability issues.  If an emergency room doctor does
not order a CT Scan and the condition ‘may have been’ diagnosed by one then
he is liable.  The fact that most soft tissue injuries do not show on CT’s
for several hours is lost in the legal system.  The fact that 98% of exams
are normal is irrelevant.

The fact that good ER doctors can with 99.9% accuracy tell which that other
2% is does not matter.  The problem is those ER doctors who should not be in
the ER in the first place, but are there because of the work load of ER’s
dealing with false emergencies.  Especially the line of foreigners who think
that the ER is for routine medical care!

I could expound on this subject, but enough said.  You did the correct
thing.

Only one Presidential Candidate has addressed the ‘Tort Reform’ issue.  Who
is it? (Anyone know correct answer)  I know because it is one issue that
concerns me and have watched for.  This issue affects us for many reasons
besides the unnecessary doses of radiation.

Who pays for the unnecessary medical exams?  And believe me most of the ER
Cat Scan’s are unnecessary.  Not all, but a substantial number are and are
done to cover ass or at family members insistence.

And the AMA is advertising heavily for universal medical insurance.  Yes,
vote for socialized medicine so that your grand children have three eyes due
to unnecessary exposure to ionizing radiation from cat scans ordered because
uneducated lawyers and medical personal thought they might find an answer to
a belly ache.

May I emphasis that the effects of ionizing radiation are casually taught in
medical students courses.  Only future Radiologist study the nitty gritty
details!  No deleterious dose effect is taught to nurses and concerned
family members insisting that all medical tests be done!

Tort Reform should concern all!

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA
"It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the
equivalent of what he takes out of it."   Albert Einstein