[Rhodes22-list] Brad, flying, airplanes, 'Tort Reform'

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 09:45:25 EST 2007

Ed,

What really frustrates me about the health insurance issue is this: what
model for socialized medicine will we follow? TenCare here in Tennessee
nearly bankrupted the state.  My mother used to say, "we don't have the
money to take you kids to the Doctor everytime you fart crossways!"  Yet,
that is precisely what happened under TenCare.  My ex-father-in-law was a GP
in Middle TN who was about to retire.  When TenCare came along his practice
started booming because the bigger clinics wouldn't fool with it.  Patients
would bring in their kids with a runny nose and Dr. L*& would say, "Mam, he
has a cold, I can give him some antibiotics and he'll be over it in a week.
Or, we can nothing and he'll be over it in a week."  Of course they wanted
drugs because it's 'free'.  Pick another state, Massachusetts for example -
same story. Hell, pick another country, lets say Canada!  Why do rich
Canadians come to the US for treatment of serious illnesses rather than wait
in line for months.  No one would like to see affordable health care made
available more than me.  I'd love to provide it for my brother and other
employees but not at the expense of the first class health care available to
my family through my employer.  But then maybe that's the whole purpose of
this latest attempt at socialized medicine - a thinly veiled leap in the
direction of socialization more than good health care.

Brad