[Rhodes22-list] Brad, flying, airplanes, 'Tort Reform'

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Wed Nov 7 11:22:30 EST 2007

When the lawyers became involved in triage,
rational decision-making was impacted.

My old man was a doctor, and I worked in an
ER going thru college so I had a chance to observe
hospital practices in the '50s and '60s, .

When I recently had to go with my wife to the ER, I
noticed that the ratio of paper-shufflers vs. real
medical personnel had risen sharply since the '60s.

/Robert
Tootle wrote:

> Brad said, I confronted her, "is he a patient or a prisoner?"  She ran for
> one of the doctors.  Doc says, "I don't recommend leaving."
>
> "OK Doc, you've made your obligatory statement for liability purposes, if
> this was your son would you put him through all this for a flesh wound?"
>
> "Probably not."
>
> The bill for that experience was over $6000.  Makes you wonder why health
> care is so expensive.
>
> Can anyone say TORT REFORM?
>
> Brad”
>
> Brad, you ought to see it from the inside.  I have.  You said CAT scan.
> Most people and that includes emergency room nurses and doctors who order
> the scans do not know the total exposure to radiation that those exams give.
> Nor do they appreciate the potential results of that ionizing radiation.
>
> Yes, some has to do with liability issues.  If an emergency room doctor does
> not order a CT Scan and the condition ‘may have been’ diagnosed by one then
> he is liable.  The fact that most soft tissue injuries do not show on CT’s
> for several hours is lost in the legal system.  The fact that 98% of exams
> are normal is irrelevant.
>
> The fact that good ER doctors can with 99.9% accuracy tell which that other
> 2% is does not matter.  The problem is those ER doctors who should not be in
> the ER in the first place, but are there because of the work load of ER’s
> dealing with false emergencies.  Especially the line of foreigners who think
> that the ER is for routine medical care!
>
> I could expound on this subject, but enough said.  You did the correct
> thing.
>
> Only one Presidential Candidate has addressed the ‘Tort Reform’ issue.  Who
> is it? (Anyone know correct answer)  I know because it is one issue that
> concerns me and have watched for.  This issue affects us for many reasons
> besides the unnecessary doses of radiation.
>
> Who pays for the unnecessary medical exams?  And believe me most of the ER
> Cat Scan’s are unnecessary.  Not all, but a substantial number are and are
> done to cover ass or at family members insistence.
>
> And the AMA is advertising heavily for universal medical insurance.  Yes,
> vote for socialized medicine so that your grand children have three eyes due
> to unnecessary exposure to ionizing radiation from cat scans ordered because
> uneducated lawyers and medical personal thought they might find an answer to
> a belly ache.
>
> May I emphasis that the effects of ionizing radiation are casually taught in
> medical students courses.  Only future Radiologist study the nitty gritty
> details!  No deleterious dose effect is taught to nurses and concerned
> family members insisting that all medical tests be done!
>
> Tort Reform should concern all!
>
> Ed K
> Greenville, SC, USA
> "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the
> equivalent of what he takes out of it."   Albert Einstein

> [...]

Robert Skinner  "Squirrel Haven"
Gorham, Maine         04038-1331
s/v "Little Dipper" & "Edith P."