[Rhodes22-list] Has The World Gone Mad?

Geankoplis napoli68 at charter.net
Wed Nov 7 23:43:47 EST 2007

Brad,
	Perhaps I can help clarify this a bit as I teach 8th grade in a
middle school.  Hugging a friend, a brief embrace and smile to send you on
your way, we all need human contact.  Now replace that image/definition with
uninhibited, sexually explicit pelvis grinding but call it "just hugging".
Visualize unwanted "Hugging" where one party is afraid (due to social
pressure) to ask some one not to do so.  Picture kids leaping on others or
as a group as big as 8 or 10 blocking the whole aisle.  Basically just being
today's ego centric teenagers.  Now, do we go around spending our focus on
timing of the embrace, or measuring the placement of primary and secondary
sex characteristics placement in relationship to the opposite gender, or
just rely on subjective measurements?  Or should we focus on seeing that the
kids are safe, polite, and getting to their classes on time.  Am I
exaggerating?  No.  Do we, at my school have to ban hugging, again no, as
long as the kids police themselves.  But that is key, the level of maturity
that they exhibit has its rewards.  It is seldom as simple as the headline
appears.

Chris