[Rhodes22-list] Global Warming Scam

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 07:09:17 EST 2007

Ron,

We agree on more than we disagree.  The shrinking number of scientists who
don't buy into global warming is the simplest to explain.  The funding goes
to the believers. We'll probably be dead when the next cooling period starts
and the truth is really known.  I will remain a skeptic that the current
warming trend is anything unusual and especially that it is accelerated by
mankind. That said, I still read the scientific research on both sides and
remain neutral.

The possible mitigating steps that we can take, assuming that we can do
anything, are steps we need to take anyway for other geopolitical reasons.
Nuclear energy is extremely attractive.  Cheap electricity makes the
conversion of tar sands economically feasible.  Yes, coal has a bright the
future and we have the technology to scrub it fairly clean. Yes, we are
running out of crude oil (I'm a firm believer in Hubbert's peak) and what is
left is either in difficult places (at sea) or in hostile places (third
world or Middle Eastern countries).

I still keep a close eye on the Illinois Basin oil field looking for
bargains.  They are not there anymore (unless you want to take on soil
remediation projects).  One lease I almost bought was picked up by the
seller for free when oil got to $11 per barrel.  Those days are gone
forever.  One possible new life for the Illinois Basin and other mature and
marginal fields in the US is for carbon sequestration. If carbon
sequestration becomes a reality it will be a game for big companies, that
still leaves room for small leaseholders but the payoff is too far down the
road to be modeled into any current value analysis.  My backyard neighbor
until a few months ago was an energy banker.  We entertained ourselves by
guessing where oil and coal prices were going while sharing some really good
wine.  We were eerily prescient. Unfortunately, he actually invested in our
bets, I sat on the sidelines.

Now, back to solutions, the single biggest weapon we have in our arsenal is
the C-bomb - Conservation.  I'm dead-set against government intervention in
markets but here's an area where I can live with an exception.  China,
India, and the Europeans all pay substantially more for transportation fuel
than we do in the US.  It has been proposed (and I could support) that we
establish a minimum price for gasoline of $4 per gallon, rising over a long
enough period of time that the markets can adjust and the economy doesn't
tank.  Peoples personal habits and the marketplace will take care of the
rest. There is no "magic bullet" out there, the solutions will be
incremental and piecemeal.  All these steps will lessen our dependence on
oil but won't do much for GW as long as China and India doesn't play.  China
just said again this week they won't.

I don't have a beef with the global warming believers.  I'm just as agnostic
about that as I am religion.  The problem comes when the belief turns into
political action.  Many of the GW believers' solutions are IMHO the right
things to do for the wrong reasons.  I'd like to see something about the
declining supply of crude oil sooner rather than later.  However, let's be
sane and rational about it.  Rabid belief in any religion or cause seldom
leads to sane and rational discussion and especially thoughtful and useful
action.

Brad

.