[Rhodes22-list] Sealant Question

john Belanger jhnblngr at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 12 01:51:59 EST 2007

the thing with sealants is don't squeeze the two parts together till the sealant has cured, just like deck fittings. silicon sealants are not good adhesively but do very well when used between items and kept under mechanical pressure. its also easily removable. .02

Brad Haslett <flybrad at gmail.com> wrote:  Ed,

RTV "room temperature vulcanization" is silicone seal. Permatex makes a
Blue and an Ultra Blue that all the auto parts stores carry. Either one
would probably do what I need but with all the engineering types, motor
cycle owners, and all around other smart people on the list, someone
probably knows of an "improved" product. If it doesn't work - and this is a
big, big, requirement - it would need to be removable so the gasket can be
replaced by the repair facility in California. The cost of having it
resealed at $900 is not the hurdle, the hassle of removing it is the
hurdle. We're only talking about sealing against a pint of gear oil but it
sure makes a mess when it leaks out.

Brad