[Rhodes22-list] Sails

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Tue Nov 13 13:19:38 EST 2007

Hank,

I wasn't sure what the sails were worth.  The 6oz and 5oz Dacron may be way
underweight.  The quotation came with this introduction:

"Sail buying customers have been divided into two separate designations.
Those who need and crave a wide variety of on the water service, and those
who don't. Quite simply, Cruising Direct offers a high quality product to
the sailors who don't need on the water service. The end result is a product
that we are proud of and offers maximum value at a substantially lower cost.
Cruising Direct Sails are designed and manufactured by North Sails using
North NorDac 4800 premium Dacron. This premium polyester offers easy
handling and long-term durability for cruisers, and solid performance for
smaller racing boats."

I think that what they are saying is that many cruising folks wind up buying
much more sail (and boat, maybe) than they need.  My feeling is that I would
rather buy better product for the one time that I really require it
(especially if safety may depend on it.)

Now, for the question of the day: What is the weight (quality) of the GB
replacement sails?  This is what I meant in my statement "... North Sails
Cruising Direct requires further investigation ..."

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
Nissequogue River, NY

From: "Hank" <hnw555 at gmail.com> Tuesday, November 13, 2007 10:37 AM