[Rhodes22-list] Rudder angle, tacking, and racing

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Wed Nov 14 20:47:36 EST 2007

When you angle the rudder aft, it has the effect
of changing the foil shape to one more efficient
for slower speeds.  This reduces the stall speed
of the rudder just as a flap does on an airplane
wing.

So, to check this theory while racing, lift the
rudder when tacking, but lower it when running
free or in strong wind.

When on a beam reach, having the rudder aligned
with the axis of the gudgeons will reduce tiller
effort if the sails are not balanced, or if you
get a great gust with a weather helm.

Betcha you will go faster.  Let me know - I'm
out of the water 'til spring.

/Robert
Leland wrote:

> Jb,
>
> First of all, great pictures.  Your boat is beautiful and your pictures of
> the regatta reminded me that Annapolis isn't the only place to see a bunch
> of sailboats.  Catch that fish off of your Rhodes?
>
> I never thought about lifting the rudder to reduce drag on a tack.  Although
> it makes sense, I probably won't do it just out of pure laziness.  Is this a
> common technique with the racing crowd?
>
> Lee
> 1986 Rhodes22  At Ease
> Crab Alley (Kent Island, MD)
>
> Just bent wrote:
> >
> > I did that on purpose so when I throw the tiller over to tack, it doesn't
> > put on the brakes as much, but still turns.
> > Jb
> >

> > Rob Lowe wrote:
> >>
> >> Just bent,
> >> Just finished looking at your photos (thanks).  Noticed the position of
> >> your
> >> rudder.  It appears not to be down all the way.   Is there some sort or a
> >> "down haul" that pulls the rudder down into a vertical position?  Try it
> >> and
> >> see if your maneuvering improves. - rob
> >>
> >> Rob Lowe
> >> S/V Getaway