[Rhodes22-list] Rudder angle, tacking, and racing

Richard Smith sailnut at att.net
Thu Nov 15 10:33:05 EST 2007

>From a hydrodynamic standpoint all that raking the rudder blade aft would
accomplish is to increase the apparent chord of the blade (assuming that the
water flow is more or less parallel with the water surface. ) This would
increase the Reynolds # (good) but lower the camber to chord ratio (not good
for slow speeds).

In my opinion it is much more important to trim your boat for a natural
helm.  This will avoid the drag caused by continually correcting weather or
lee helm.

Richard Smith