[Rhodes22-list] Sails and sacrificial cloth

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Thu Nov 15 07:08:24 EST 2007

Mary Lou,

New sacrificial cloth for sails said to be white in color and lighter weight
brings questions that need to be fairly and accurately stated.

Historically, color and what makes it that color have proven to be best
tools against UV damage to cloth, rope and anything else subject to UV
deterioration.  In cloth and rope the most common ingredient is carbon black
dye.  It has a proven record.  They use carbon black in darker blues and
black and the record speaks for itself.

New fabric, says high tech.  While technology is constantly changing the way
sails are made in both shape and content, time and use demonstrate those
changes efficacy.  Just look back at the recent America’s Cup Races.  I saw
high tech sails and I saw high tech sails blow out and tear up.

While the old fabrics may be replaced in time, I would consider my use and
how long I wanted the sail to last.  There are still sails made of the old
tan bark color and style for world cruisers.  For Sunbrella, the track
record of black and darker blues is there for us to see and feel.  For the
few dollars more, I would stick to the proven fabric, unless you have a
desire for sacrificial sails.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA
"Little by little one walks far"  Peruvian Proverb