[Rhodes22-list] Lies, Damn Liars, and Oil

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Fri Nov 16 08:00:46 EST 2007

Brad, John & Michael W.

Brad said, “There is more profit in selling condoms than in gasoline at the
retail level.”  This goes to my original comment to which in part Michael W
objected.  The subject is Dacron, which is what most main sails are made of.
Both Dacron and condoms are petroleum derivatives.  It is very simple to
state that if the price of petroleum goes from $50.00 a barrel and then to
$95.00 a barrel and that stuff is the main ingredient what will happen to
the end product price.

Michael W. objected to my reference to Sail Warehouse.  If Michael W. will
Warehouse makes a catalog.  That catalog is an excellent primer on sail
terminology and how to measure sails.  It is free.  It is an excellent
learning tool.

Michael W. should go back and rereads all of Michael T’s posts.  He will
find that Michael T has only been sailing a couple of years and this is his
first big boat.  After reading that catalog, Michael T or others would be
more accurate in their discussions and questions.

If Michael W will get out his 2007 Sail Warehouse catalog and turn to page
39, he will see an illustration of the type of Sail that Chris G used on his
Rhodes 22 on his Baja sailing trip.  Seeing an actual illustration would
enhance others understanding of sails.

This small catalog is much easier to use than the biggie from West, although
I am sure West covers these topics also.

The name Neil Pride has been recently mentioned.  Want to learn more, just
go to:
http://www.neilprydesails.com/faq.htm#SAIL_FABRICS_

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA