[Rhodes22-list] Winter Sail Discussions-Removing IMF Main

David Culp daculp at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 17:24:16 EST 2007

Gang:

I am getting ready to take the IMF main out of the mast and send it to Sail
Care for overhaul next week.  It's about 10 years old and doesn't appear to
be blown out-but it is dirty and needs some clew work.   Just looking at it,
it appears to be a fairly straight-forward process which probably means it
isn't.  I am going to replace all the control lines while I'm at it as
well.  I am going to take some digital pictures for reference so that I can
put everything back the way it was when I get the sail back next year.
Anyone have any "gotchas" experience that I should know about prior to doing
this?

Additional:

Sail Care re-did my 175 for the Rhodes last year.  It required a fair amount
of re-stitching and some Sunbrella work and the cost including shipping, was
about $450.00.  Very pleased with the result.  The only new set of sails I
have ever bought were for a ComPac 16 and came from National Sail.  They
were very helpful as we re-designed a full-battened, extended leech sail for
that boat which made a nice difference in performance.  They also had the
lowest cost as I remember it.  That being said, just looking at my IMF main
closely tucked inside the mast, I think if I were going to get a new one-I
would talk to Stan.  My Doyle main has held up pretty well and there is not
much room in there for experimentation or mistakes.

David Culp