[Rhodes22-list] Do you have the UPP (Motorized engine lift)?

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Sun Nov 18 11:47:03 EST 2007

Paul,

I have the electric motor lift and a heavy 9.9 Mercury outboard.  The lift
is nothing more than an electric winch, so maintenance is almost
non-existent.  Due to the weight of my motor, I must keep the elevator track
well-lubed with silicon to ensure a smooth operation.  The only other
problem I've encountered is typical salt water corrosion--sometimes the
electrical connections need to be cleaned.  I recommend trying the manual
lift prior to purchasing the electric lift, just to see which one you like
better.

I get a lot of questions and comments at the marina about the unique
features of the Rhodes.  Most of them are about the electric motor lift,
probably because its unusual sound gets everyone's attention.  They think
I'm grinding coffee beans.

The 9.9 is definitely overkill.  An 8 hp might be a little overkill.  I
reach a max speed of about 7 knots with the throttle around 70%.  I find
that 5 knots is very quiet and doesn't excessively push the boat to
starboard.

Absolutely positively without question get the tiller-motor link.  It's not
a hassle and makes a world of difference.  I consider it one of the best
features on the boat.

Good luck!

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  At Ease