[Rhodes22-list] 175 Genoa

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Tue Nov 27 13:09:36 EST 2007

Art & others,

I still wouldn't give up my 175, but after testing its speed in several
conditions, I was surprised at how little of a difference it makes.

On close and beam reaches, it looks like you need over a 3 knot true wind to
fully inflate it.  If it's not fully inflated, you'll go just as fast with
about half as much headsail.  If the true wind is over 6 knots, you start
increasing your speed by reducing headsail and decreasing heel.  In the
middle of the 175's ideal zone (4.6 knot true wind) on a close reach, my
speed was only reduced from 3.5 knots to 3.2 knots by reducing the genoa to
the outside shroud (about 115%).

Wing-on-wing on a run without a whisker pole and it's difficult to keep the
big 175 completely inflated.

I haven't checked the speed difference on a broad reach.  I assume you might
be able to pick up a little additional speed, but I can't imagine that it's
more than half a knot from a 135 or 155 genoa.

Speed isn't everything, and the big 175 can sure look pretty.

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  At Ease
Crab Alley (Kent Island, MD)