[Rhodes22-list] 175 Genoa

Charles Henthorn rexh at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 27 13:39:53 EST 2007

Leland:
       Your numbers bear out my opinions on the 175's effectiveness---as does your comment about asthetics although I would have thought the 4.6 number would have been nearer 7 or 8.   One measurement I had hoped to do before the season ended (yes....Bow vs. Wave was officially winterized last week), was whether the 175's deployment in light winds while running is really counterproductive.  During 3 races where there were light-to-nonexistent winds this past year, I actually finished better with the 175 furled and using only the main.  However, this is an opinion based upon how I placed against other sailboats and not based upon a measured speed.  Any comments?
         I apologize for not checking the achives (Ed, I'm busy composing this email) but what's the ideal whisker pole arrangement for the 175?   I've ruined two 12' boat hooks trying to use them as whisker poles---because they are cheap!  Has someone found a reasonably priced whisker pole on the market that will work for the Rhodes22?   If so, where is the ideal attachment point?
  Rex

Leland <LKUHN at cnmc.org> wrote:

Art & others,

I still wouldn't give up my 175, but after testing its speed in several
conditions, I was surprised at how little of a difference it makes.

On close and beam reaches, it looks like you need over a 3 knot true wind to
fully inflate it. If it's not fully inflated, you'll go just as fast with
about half as much headsail. If the true wind is over 6 knots, you start
increasing your speed by reducing headsail and decreasing heel. In the
middle of the 175's ideal zone (4.6 knot true wind) on a close reach, my
speed was only reduced from 3.5 knots to 3.2 knots by reducing the genoa to
the outside shroud (about 115%).

Wing-on-wing on a run without a whisker pole and it's difficult to keep the
big 175 completely inflated.

I haven't checked the speed difference on a broad reach. I assume you might
be able to pick up a little additional speed, but I can't imagine that it's
more than half a knot from a 135 or 155 genoa.

Speed isn't everything, and the big 175 can sure look pretty.

Lee
1986 Rhodes22 At Ease
Crab Alley (Kent Island, MD)