[Rhodes22-list] 175 Genoa

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Tue Nov 27 15:15:57 EST 2007

Rex,

The 4.6 knots was true wind.  I think the apparent wind was a little above 6
knots.

I posted this last week:  "The fastest I made it the rest of the day was 1.3
knots on a close reach with an apparent wind of 3 knots with the 175 genoa
all the way out.  At 50 degrees, that would calculate to a 2.38 true wind.
The white sail of the genoa was inflated but the UV protector was flopped
over.  I furled the genoa in until the UV protector flew straight back with
the rest of the sail, which brought the headsail down to about 90%.  My
speed:  still 1.3 knots.  My assumption:  If you haven't enough wind to blow
that UV strip straight back, you've got way too much genoa out."

If you have almost nonexistent wind and you're on a run, it seems like you'd
want as much sail out as possible to catch any little bit of wind.  If
you're on a close reach, extra sail may slow you down because it would be
fighting the aerodynamics.  Your boom keeps the mainsail somewhat taught and
it shouldn't hinder the aerodynamics nearly as much, so it might make sense
to sail on main alone on a close reach with little wind.

Of course, I could be totally wrong.  Since I seem to be trying to sail in
no wind all the time, I'll put your theory to the test next time I'm out.

Lee