[Rhodes22-list] Removing motor for repair- electic motors

DownHill jadoucet at snet.net
Mon Oct 1 16:54:57 EDT 2007

Louis,

I use a solar charger for the main boat battery because the boat electronics
don't draw very much current so it does not discharge the battery below 80%.

With an electric motor one may discharge the lead acid battery enough that
one would need a multi-stage charger to reduce sulphate build up on the
plates.  When I am using the electric motor I mount the charger inside the
stern compartment and plug it in immediately upon return.  If one only used
the motor to get on/off a dock, a 36 V solar charger would probably be OK.
Mount three 12V panels in series on the stern compartment.

cheers,

Down_Hill

Down_ Hill,

Just saw your post about the electric motor outboard.
Have you tried a solar powered panel for onboard charging while sailing?

I truly believe between newer motors and more robust batteries, we
will be able to go without gas motors in the near future making those
motorboat guys at my marina even more jealous of a sailboat!
Lou