[Rhodes22-list] Got my license

Jay Friedland jsail1 at verizon.net
Fri Oct 5 08:22:37 EDT 2007

M-
I was told it is 3 weeks for the background check, then the clock
starts for the issuance of the license which is 8 weeks. For me, that
means Thanksgiving. I used REC Boston as they were less backed up
then NYC, but fingerprinting in NYC because it's closer. I should
have done my Master's at the same time, didn't realize I could do it.
Also, got near coastal with 90 days offshore in the last 3 years.

Being an instructor has always had the same rewards as taking people
out for a demo sail on the R22. They have the dream, but the
mechanics of sailing is out of reach. Many have taken some lessons,
but have never taken a boat out by themselves. The best time is when
"they get it". They do the drills and get their tacks, docking, and
other basics, they get over confident, trip up, and  get real
frustrated. When they start getting themselves out of trouble, and
get control, they are on their way.

The ASA Certification is something I can fall back on, here or in a
year 'round location. Not enough to make a living from, but with
deliveries, etc. it's not a bad way to be on the water. Yeah, I
planning to add bareboat and coastal cruising end of October or in
the Spring.