[Rhodes22-list] Compass and GPS Selection

Charles Henthorn rexh at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 5 17:52:37 EDT 2007

Dan:
     I agree with Joe.   For the money you get the most with the Garmin 76 monochrome.  With the downloadable charts I've used it for the BVI's and Lake Michigan.  The bells and whistles of the higher priced models just make them more difficult to configure and do not provide that much enhancement for the price in my opinion.  The hand-held 76 is versatile because you can get the 12V plug in accessory and plug in in just below the cabin hatch and have it in full view while sailing the Rhodes.  Afterwards, you can remove it and use it to help you find your way home (just in case you want to go home).
  Rex

Joe Babb <joe.babb at comcast.net> wrote:
  Hi Dan,
We've been using a Garmin GPSmap 76S handheld and have been very happy
with it. It has built in maps. We used it once down around Tampa and
Fort Desoto in our fishing boat and then mostly have used it on area
lakes in East Tennessee. On the coast it was handy to have to access
tide times. Inland I have also used it to get moonrise and sunset
times. It cost $200. from MegaGPS on the web. It's display is
monochrome. Seems like color jumps the price of these things.
Best,
Joe