[Rhodes22-list] Reply to Diane Russell

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Thu Oct 11 07:16:40 EDT 2007

Diane:

So you are talking these days?

Does your boat have the IMF?  That is inner mast furling?  Tell us what you
think of it compared to a standard main sail.

Commodore Spitzer who calls Edenton, North Carolina home port, makes a
device that needs only one person to raise and lower the mast.  It is called
the mast hoist system and it works.  It is safe and easy to use.  You can
even lower or raise in a fair breeze.  While you say that you are about two
and half miles from launch, consider a vacation elsewhere.  With the crutch
crane hoist system, you might come south.  We sail all year round down here.
The past few weeks have been with a lively breeze.  You learn to sail on the
inland lakes down here, unlike pointing your boat toward Canada and sailing
for hours.

The archives have comments about fixing faucets.  Others may offer you some
pointers.  Since you are located in an area where it freezes hard, I would
do something about not leaving plain H2O in the lines.  The most expedient
way will be to get down and dirty.  Find the lowest connection in the line
and drain the lines going to the sink.  Probably to your bilge, then mop up.
Do before a hard freeze.  Or has that happened already?

However, as to fluid in the storage tank, Burt from Long Island offered a
suggestion that you might want to consider.  An alternative to potato juice
would be fermented potato juice, aka, vodka.  I will not mention names, but
it has also been suggested in the past to put several bottles of rum in the
tank.  Then in spring all you have to do is add coke.

Or you may want to mosey down to your nearest marine or rv supply and get a
gallon of non toxic water tank antifreeze.  Since you have non working
faucets, you need to get plain water out asap.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA
"GOD does not deduct from a man's allotted time, those hours spent sailing."