[Rhodes22-list] sounder senders

Joe Babb joe.babb at comcast.net
Thu Oct 11 08:06:08 EDT 2007

Hi All,
I am trying to decide about a plotter/sounder for our future recycled
Rhodes 22.  I have been thinking of something like the Garmin 468 (now
discontinued but still on the shelves) that got a good review in
Practical Sailor a few months ago.  So I'm trying to find something good
for under $1000. that can show depth and has built in charts.
One question for you all is what kind of transducer is best and where
located?  Garmin offers transom mounted skimmers and through hull
things.  I'm not all that sure that a skimmer would work well on the
Rhodes, but I'm not keen on putting holes in the hull either.  The other
question is about mounting in the cockpit.  These "fishfinder"
plotter/sounders tend to mount on a bracket of some sort and I can't
envision how that will work on a sailboat in a good location for viewing.
Thoughts?  Ideas?
Best,
Joe