[Rhodes22-list] sounder senders

Jay Friedland jsail1 at verizon.net
Thu Oct 11 08:47:42 EDT 2007

Joe,
I have the 178C, also a discontinued and highly rated by PS. After
evaluating various options, including redrilling what was my sender
unit from a previous depth sounder, I stayed with the hockey puck
inside the hull mounting. I originally had both a knotmeter and depth
sounder senders mounted either side of the fore edge of the keel for
minimum turbulence per Stan's recommendations 10 years ago.

The new transducer is just forward of the old knotmeter which is on
the starboard side below the floor of the head near the compression
post (within 4-5" to starboard off the centerline). I used the same
8" Beckson (?) screw in access panel just at the entry to the head
and epoxied the transducer housing next the stringer leading to the
starboard side of the bilge. The housing unit has an offset to allow
for the hull angle, filled it full with mineral oil, and it's been
accurate (against a boathook check to bottom) and trouble free since.
The 178C allows for a keel offset so my readings are depth below the
keel. The transducer wire runs below the galley ledge at the base.
Nothing exposed, minimum turbulence, and easy access. Hope this helps.
Jay