[Rhodes22-list] Do you recommend the Bimini top?

FCrawford0707 at aol.com FCrawford0707 at aol.com
Sat Oct 20 18:16:50 EDT 2007

In a message dated 10/20/2007 5:53:49 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
krawitzmail-rhodes22 at yahoo.com writes:

For  those of you that have it, is the Bimini top more of a benefit or a
hassle?  How long does it take to put up and take down? Does it store easily in
the  cabin?

Thanks.

Paul K

Paul - It is very useful if you will be out for a good bit of the mid-day
sun or spending sunny time in the cockpit at anchor.  There are a couple of
downsides : it makes furling / reefing of the in-mast main a bit of a fire drill
(although I'm pretty used to it and that's not really a big deal).
Secondly, it limits your flexibility with regard to sailing with the pop-top up  - to
do so, the bimini has to be deployed, as well.  We have not tried to  store it
in the cabin - I doubt if it would fit.  It lays comfortably on  the aft
section of the cabin top when not deployed.   I would  recommend getting it unless
you are a big fan of being exposed to the sun.
    Frone Crawford
    s/v Sunday Morning