[Rhodes22-list] Question, non sailing--Now High Wind Tacking

KUHN, LELAND LKUHN at cnmc.org
Tue Oct 23 13:20:02 EDT 2007

Big Al,

Good trivia--never knew that.

Had a great afternoon of sailing yesterday although it was a little
windy and choppy (12-15 knot winds, 3-5 foot chop).  Typically I have
trouble tacking in those conditions, but yesterday not so much.  Since
I'm not sure what I was doing right, I could use some advice.  I had the
boom down with full mainsail out and the genoa was reefed to about 100%
with the sheets ran between the shrouds on the cabin sides.

The centerboard was up.  Wouldn't it make more sense to have it down so
you could turn quicker?

When tacking, I turned the tiller as hard and fast as I could.  I
thought you should tack slowly in small boats?

Speed was about 3.5 to 4 knots (close reach), which might be a little
faster than normal for these conditions, which might be the only reason
I had no trouble tacking.

I tried to time my tack with the chop, so the rudder turned when it was
at the top of a wave.  The idea was to turn the boat before the next
wave hit, which was largely unsuccessful.

Anything else I should or should not do?

Thanks!

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  At Ease
Crab Alley (Kent Island, MD)