[Rhodes22-list] Political reference by Ed

john Belanger jhnblngr at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 24 01:18:23 EDT 2007

robert
  interesting word, respect. the aritha franklin song came immediately to mind, there will always be political differences between people and nations. but if your friend, enemy,coworker, boss, or significant other, doesn't respect you or you them, its over. i would also add on to what you said about fighting terrorism: the best way to fight it is try correcting some of the abuses of the past. admit that certain policies have not been conducive to better relations and do what can be done to regain their respect. i still think iran would make a better friend than an enemy.
  and just for drill, whose side are we going to be on.....turkey or kurdistan

Robert Skinner <robert at squirrelhaven.com> wrote:
  When the incumbent makes it clear that he has little respect
for the people at the bottom of the heap, the broad base of
the heap reacts. As Brad remarked, there is little
difference between this and the Irish organizations last
century. If there are any issues of impropriety, they are
lost in the still-blazing memory of the great election robbery.

However different from Bush, and there are some big
differences, anyone with the "Republican" sign hanging
around his/her neck is tarred with the Bush brush.

Unalloyed loyalty to the Republican cause, as defined by
Bush, has a price in a we/they contest. Make no mistake
about it -- Bush is at least as much reviled as he is
revered, and many voters, myself included, will go to
great lengths to restore the presidency to a more
cooperative relationship with the other branches of our
government. We will also go to great lengths to break the
nominally-conservative-but-actually-drunk-evangelical-in-
a-whorehouse Republican party's hold on our government.

It is time for the pendulum to swing the other way for a
while. This is a nominally secular and peaceful nation.
Yes, we have some responsibility for world-wide issues
such as combating terrorism, but we have been using a
10-guage shotgun to kill a cockroach, and been pointing it
in the wrong direction to boot.

And a policy of setting limitations on other countries
options to provide their women with the tools to control
their own lives is hideous. Bush appears to regard women
as chattels. I thought we dealt with that in 1865. But
the Republican candidates seem to be courting our own
radical extremists with that view. Another mill-stone
around their necks.

Reality will intrude.

/Robert