[Rhodes22-list] Re ply to Robert about Maine

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Wed Oct 24 10:44:11 EDT 2007

Ed - since it reached 80 F. here yesterday, I
may be sailing a bit longer.  Global warming
has considerably extended the season here.

As to hucksterism (long spelling), I was never
really good as a carney barker, and haven't
taken it up in my retirement.

/Robert

huck·ster  (hkstr)
n.
1. One who sells wares or provisions in the street; a peddler or hawker.
2. One who uses aggressive, showy, and sometimes devious methods to promote or
sell a product.
3. Informal One who writes advertising copy, especially for radio or television.
v. huck·stered, huck·ster·ing, huck·sters
v.tr.
1. To sell; peddle.
2. To promote or attempt to sell (a commercial product, for example) in an
overaggressive or showy manner.
3. To haggle over; deal in.
v.intr.
To engage in haggling.
Tootle wrote:

> Bob,
>
> Thank you for the invitation to sail in Maine.  Us southerners noticed the
> timing of your invitation.  Just when the lake freezes over, etc.  They
> referred to a huckster in the post.  Was that you?
>
> Did you notice that Chris is posting nice PDF's of the Adriatic Coast.
> Didn't you take any pictures on your trip? Quea´sy?
>
> At least I offer invititations during season, sorry that ours is 365 or 366
> days a year.  Cabin fever setting in early?  Pull your little boat south.
> The warm airs will relax the wife and you.  May I suggest a remote setting?
>
>  Try: http://www.southcarolinaparks.com/park-finder/state-park/1109.aspx
>
> This state park in South Carolina is 'bout two hours southeast of
> Greenville.  This place is about one third the way between Captain Rummy and
> Captain Keller.  It is on the biggest Corp of Engineer Lake east of the
> Mississippi.  The park offers camping and motel facilities.  It has a ramp
> and boat dock behind the motel building.  Albeit, a few hundred feet away.
> The dock is on floats so water level is not an issue.  It offers a very
> soothing atmosphere.
>
> For more information see:
>
> http://www.sas.usace.army.mil/lakes/thurmond/  (notice water temperature)
>
> http://www.golfbuzz.com/n/sc_fall