[Rhodes22-list] Corn - More Politics - real reply

Rik Sandberg sanderico1 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 15:29:09 EDT 2007

Rummy,

Well then ..... you won't mind going without lunch now and then so
somebody else can drive??? :-) LOL

> The corn bi-products of making ethanol are completely recyclable as
> livestock feed. Burning ethanol does not put as much pollution into the air as
> gasoline when burned. Yes, there is still 15% gasoline in it, but that's only to
> prevent some redneck alcoholic from drinking something that is 100 pure  ethanol.

Yes, this is all true .... but

What we really need is something like sugar cane that we can grow
without much cultivation, fertilizer or other attention. Fortunately for
Brazil, sugar cane apparently grows like a weed down there. Not so much
here. Corn is just too important as a food source and expensive as a
fuel source to be wasted this way. Might want to check with the Mexicans
and see how they feel when the price of tortillas triples so we
Americans can be out joy riding in our cars.

Did you read Brads article from CATO? Replacing 3,5% of the oil we're
using now with corn ethanol is a start, but isn't going to be all that
meaningful. We have to do better than that.

Rik

"Two things are infinite: The universe and human stupidity; and I'm not
sure about the universe."
- Albert Einstein