[Rhodes22-list] Take This Job and Shove It!

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 23:38:20 EDT 2007

Slim,

Just stumbled across this - dateline today.  Brad

NEW YORK (CBS News) ― The joint FBI-Homeland Security bulletin, obtained by
CBS News today, bluntly warns that terrorists are still working to use
"modified footwear as a concealment method for explosive devices," CBS News
correspondent Bob Orr reports.

The alert follows the discovery of bomb detonators - expertly hidden in the
hollowed-out soles of this pair of shoes - found aboard a European bus last
month.

Intelligence officials say the shoes were not being worn at the time, but
instead were being used, as the document says, "to smuggle electric blasting
caps across international borders for use in a terrorist attack."

"The terrorists have an interest in explosive devices. They are trying to
figure out the best way to push them, to move them through the system," said
CBS News counterterrorism analyst Paul Kurtz.

Shoes have been used by terrorists before.

Three months after 9/11, al Qaeda operative Richard Reid tried to blow up an
American Airlines jet with a shoe bomb similar to the one shown in this
test.

Now at U.S. airports, scanners X-ray all passengers' shoes and carry on
bags, searching for explosives.

Still, experts worry that a team of terrorists could beat security by
carrying unassembled parts of a bomb past a checkpoint.

"Where one person will carry component A, the next person will carry
component B, and they will meet together past the safety point, past the
checkpoint and reassemble," explained Mike White, the director of training
for Michael Stapleton Associates and a former head of the NYPD bomb squad.

Officials say there is no specific intelligence that terrorists are
preparing new attacks against America.

But, the threat remains high - and the bulletin warns law enforcement
officials not to assume that routine objects, like shoes, are always what
they appear to be.