[Rhodes22-list] Diane Russell, a reply and ...

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Sat Sep 1 08:26:48 EDT 2007

Diane:

Thank you for making the effort to post those pictures.  As you have
learned, you have a unique Rhodes 22.  A fact that you might learn about the
Rhodes 22, is while they share the same shape hull and deck that is where
affinity ends.

Ever since Michael Meltzer of Wall Street Fame created this forum, he has
saved the posts in the archives.  Search engines will search the archives.
See this email to this forum that I recently posted:
http://www.rhodes22.org/pipermail/rhodes22-list/2007-August/043706.html

My first comment is on the location of your mainsheet and traveler.  As
already has been mentioned, yours is the first boat seen with the main sheet
located mid boom and at the companionway.  I understand why it is there.
That is a very effective location for serious racers.  Not so good for those
of us who are ‘Sunday afternoon drivers’ and use the companionway while
sailing.  Most of us have Stan’s system where the traveler is on a tube
suspended from the stern stays.  It is a great system for the main sheet
because it is useable and out of the way.  Captain Rummy used to have a
whole series of pictures of the traveler, boom set up, etc., until his
storage site ceased.  If you send him a bottle of Mt. Gay rum, maybe he will
take all those pictures again.

There are very few Rhodes 22's with Boom Vangs and most of those are
standard main sail boats.  The previous owner must have been known about
sailboats.  Most of us that sail the Rhodes 22 with IMF are not that finicky
about sail adjustments.  But note that there are some who are and will enjoy
looking at the picture of the Vang.
http://usera.imagecave.com/mamaruss/boat5.jpg-copy.jpg

I also would think that your mainsheet and traveler location are problematic
for sailing with a bimini.  Maybe sailing near the Artic that is not an
issue.  Again tell what year your boat is?

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA