[Rhodes22-list] The Greatest Generation

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Sat Sep 1 15:10:02 EDT 2007

Brad Haslett wrote:
> There seems to be a growing interest in the "Greatest Generation"...

My old man was a Navy surgeon.  He was attached to,
trained with, and fought with Edson's Raiders on
Guadalcanal and later expeditions, earning the
Navy Cross during the battle of Bloody Ridge.

He was a fine surgeon, silversmith, cabinetmaker,
architect, and bricklayer.  They don't make many
like that, and it was my privilege to learn from
him.

A truly conservative man in politics and finances,
he believed in every man's right to go to Hell in
his own way, and had a fine distrust of government.

He fought for the freedom to live his life as he
saw fit, and for others to do the same, so long as
they left him alone and paid their dues.

That's how I learned to be a conservative liberal,
with a fine distrust of anyone who says "Let me
help you" or "This is for your own good."

Thank you, Dad, wherever you are.

/Robert