[Rhodes22-list] Reply to Hank about rub rail leak

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Tue Sep 4 12:39:31 EDT 2007

Hank, Ed,

It is quite common for leaks to appear in the cabin when you bury the rail
on an older boat.  I have not learned how to remove and reinstall the rub
rail to permit resealing the joint, which, I would think, is the only real
fix for the water intrusion.  Some R22s have been recaulked from the
outside, above and below the rub rail, although I am not sure that the seal
is strong or lasting.  Rain water probably doest not enter through this seam
due to location and the pressure required to force the water in that is
generated during well heeled sailing.  Many Rhodies prefer to dump wind,
reef sails, etc. to avoid sailing that far over.  The reason that many have
not experienced this may be that they are sailing a newer boat, a recycled
Rhodes or they have never sailed hard enough to bury the rail.

The seal on my '81 is silicone which has a long but not infinite life.  In
addition, the seam tends to move a bit, breaking the adhesive property,
leaving only the gasket property to keep out water.  If the rub rail
loosens, the gasket will not function as intended.

If anyone knows of a way to replace or repair the rub rail short of hauling
the boat to NC, I would be interested.

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
Nissequogue River, NY