[Rhodes22-list] Sole soft spot reply to Rex

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Wed Sep 5 09:26:24 EDT 2007

Rex,

There are several discussions on this subject in the archives.  Wally Buck
is an expert in the area of your problem.  Rummy has a copy of soft spot
repair article that you might ask him for.

While most authorities say thoroughly dry interspaces before adding epoxies,
epoxy is supposed to replace moisture, so the area of concern does not need
to be perfectly dry.

Most epoxies are warm weather stuff.  That is the preferred range is in the
60’s and 70’s F.  There are special cold weather epoxies available to temps
of about 35 F.

West System is most widely available and is good stuff.  For this type
repair your first applications should be ‘Slow’ hardening catalyst.  Also,
since you may get some on adjacent areas, I recommend using pigments to
match the area of repair even though it is internal.

There is a product called “Get Rot” by Boatlife Industries.  It is good
stuff, but comes in small quantities and might cost too much for this job.

There are other epoxies called penetrating epoxies used for this type
repair.  West System does not offer this type product.  Penetrating epoxies
are good for sealing but have less structural strength than regular epoxies,
especially with reinforcing additives.  Therefore, a slow hardening epoxy
that will seep and spread is the best method.

You might look at these Web Sites and study them to decide your attack:

http://www.epoxyworks.com/

http://www.rotdoctor.com/

http://www.masepoxies.com/public/index.cfm?fuseaction=articles.view&id=2254&publicationtype=How-To

http://www.epoxyproducts.com/marine.html