[Rhodes22-list] Bob Skinner's Car, more

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 07:33:39 EDT 2007

Ed,

I was going to suggest the new VW Rabbit but it appears from their website
that the TDI engine isn't available yet. Robert said he wanted a hatchback
and so the Jetta doesn't qualify. I drove a new Jetta TDI diesel right after
they came out and was amazed at the improvements over my 1980 diesel
Rabbit.  The acceleration and noise was about the same as a gasoline
engine.  My best friend bought a 1979 Rabbit built in Wulsfburg and I bought
one made a few months later made in Pennsylvania.  The engines for both came
from Germany.  His car was so much better than mine it wasn't even funny.
The Pennsylvania plant stayed in business but a few years.  The VW Mexico
plant did have its labor problems a few years ago (I was hauling parts there
at the time) but as you say, the problems have been resolved.  BTW,
Volkswagon is the biggest selling car made in China.  As to the winter
issue, in Roberts part of the country all he needs to do is plug in the
heater at night.  My old VW allowed up to a 25% mixture of gasoline which
solved the winter issues (I lived in the MidWest at the time). My old
Mercedes diesel allowed 10%.  It is a PITA to have to mix fuel but they burn
so little you don't have to fool with it that often. I'm in the market for
another early 80's Mercedes 300TD to leave in Gulfport for my personal
ride.  About $3500 will buy an exceptionally clean one.  Diesels rule the
market outside the US.  GM ruined the market here in the 80's with their
junk and those perceptions have yet to die.

Brad