[Rhodes22-list] Bob Skinner's Car - what rabbit?

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Mon Sep 10 18:45:48 EDT 2007

ED,

Thank you for your suggestions.  I have looked at the
VW web site and drawn several conclusions:

VW does not have a diesel rabbit available in the US,
and is only considering introducing one in the future.
The gas rabbit has no hatchback, unlike my pre 1980
version, and so does not meet my basic requirements.

>From an article on the VW diesel subject:

"When an automaker introduces any kind of expensive
technology, one of the first things it does is to
try to distribute the cost of production of said tech
across its lineup. For Volkswagen, that could include
stuffing their new diesel mill into the
vehicle-formerly-known-as-the-Golf, the Rabbit. Great
news for fuel misers and penny pinchers alike."

[Note that no time frame is given for the rabbit.]

"The turbocharged two-liter diesel will find its way
into the new Jetta TDI come next spring, with sales
expected to be between 15,000 and 20,000 units
annually.

Although nothing has been firmed up yet, Norbert
Krause, VW of America's director of engineering and
environment, is well aware of the demand, noting that
40-percent of Jettas sold in 2006 were diesel-equipped.
And considering that the crossover segment is expanding
rapidly, a diesel-powered Tiguan, like the one shown at
the 2007 LA Auto Show, is assured when it goes on sale
in mid-2008."

The only diesel VW model I could find on their web
site costs more than $40K - three times what I
intend to pay, and at 250+ hp, I would not expect
it to give me 30 mpg.

I think your info is old, but would welcome
correction if there is supporting data.

/Robert

Tootle wrote:

> Bob said, "I'd use a small diesel if any were offered."
>
> There is a known to be good diesel out there.  Made by Volkswagon.  The same
> engine is availabel is several of their models.  I would recommend going
> brand new if your pocketbook would handle it.  I had one of the early rabbit
> diesels.  The car wore out before the motor.
>
> Again, if your wallet will handle it, go for a new one.  In Maine, you will
> need to always add fuel addititive during the winter, but that is not a big
> issue.  In fact in the back of my garage, I still might have some.  The
> availabily is controlled by import restrictions on diesel engines rather
> than VW's ability to make them.  The newest ones made in Mexico are reputed
> to be of good quality.
>
> You may be aware, there was a labor dispute in Mexico with VW some years
> back.  It was over who really controlled production and quality.  There were
> serious quality issues on the cars made in Mexico that nearly killed VW.  VW
> was ready to close production in Mexico when the government and uniions
> there yielded and let VW control quality.  They essentially built a new
> plant and retooled everything.  So far the results seem to be what VW wants.
>
> I looked hard at them when I got the used Focus.  For reasons stated by
> Captain Lowe, I took the used Ford at less than half the price of a small
> new VW.  My small personal car takes a lot of abuse and is subject to
> vandalism, so I choose something less attractive.  If I were to pamper the
> car, I would have gone VW diesel, even the ones made in Mexico.
>
> However, if you got one, it might outlive you.  So think of its value to
> your heirs.
>
> Ed K
> Greenville, SC, USA
> Quote of the Day, "I have rarely spoken a word in favor of labor unions, and
> then only when they were the last alternative to complete subjugation by
> rich men lacking even the vestiges of ethical consciousness."  Bob Skinner
>
> --

Robert Skinner  "Squirrel Haven"
Gorham, Maine         04038-1331
s/v "Little Dipper" & "Edith P."