[Rhodes22-list] Raising children Redux: Brad

Gregg MacMillan gjm at techgra.com
Tue Sep 11 16:14:49 EDT 2007

Very good article... I pasted it below. Just in time for my wife's
"parent's night" this evening... eighth grade social studies.  She
does have one of the best "looks" and uses it often. Unfortunately, I
get it often myself.

--Gregg

A Lost Art: Instilling Respect

By Patricia Dalton
Special to The Washington Post
Tuesday, September 11, 2007; Page HE01

There's been a fundamental change in family life, and it has played
out over the years in my office. Teachers, pediatricians and
therapists like me are seeing children of all ages who are not afraid
of their parents. Not one bit. Not of their power, not of their
position, not of their ability to apply standards and enforce
consequences.

I am not advocating authoritarian or abusive parental behavior, which
can do untold damage. No, I am talking about a feeling that was
common to us baby boomers when we were kids. One of my friends
described it this way: "All my mother had to do was shoot me a look."
I knew exactly what she was talking about. It was a look that stopped
us in our tracks -- or got us moving. And not when we felt like it.

Now.

These days, that look seems to have been replaced by a feeble nod of
parental acquiescence -- and an earnest acknowledgment of "how hard
it is to be a kid these days."

In my office, I have seen small children call their parents names and
tell them how stupid they are; I have heard adolescents use strings
of expletives toward them; and I remember one 6-year-old whose
parents told me he refused to obey, debated them ad nauseam and
sometimes even lashed out. As if on cue, the boy kicked his father
right there in the office. When I asked the father how he reacts at
home, he told me that he runs to another room!

It came to me like a lightning bolt: Not only are the kids unafraid
of their parents, parents are afraid of their kids!

What ever happened to the colorful phrases our parents relied on to
put us in our place? "Keep your shirt on." "On the double." "What do
you think we are, made of money?" "Because I said so." "If you want
sympathy, look it up in the dictionary." Or one of my personal
favorites: "Don't bother me unless you're bleeding," which a friend's
mother said to her six kids when she sat down to read before dinner.

Today's generation of children is the most closely observed,
monitored, cherished and scheduled in our history. They are also the
most praised. Families are smaller, and there are fewer children upon
whom parents can beam their attention.

Today there are moms and dads who aren't just parents -- they believe
in "parenting." They read volumes and volumes about how to be good
parents and view parenting as both an art and a science that must be
studied and updated and practiced self-consciously. Letting children
run around the neighborhood and be bored some of the time is anathema
to them.

Many parents these days don't expect their children to contribute
much around the house, although they do expect them to achieve
outside the house. They have strong beliefs about what makes children
successful and happy-ever-after, and underpinning those beliefs is
the concept that they -- the parents -- are all-important in this
quest. Such parents believe that self-esteem is the key to lifetime
success, and to this end they compliment their children a lot.

They are egalitarian, and they believe families should be
democracies. Needless to say, they don't give orders. They believe
that children will do things when they are ready to. They ask their
child politely if he or she will do something and are surprised and
dismayed when the response is "no."

It's as if parents have rewritten the Fourth Commandment to read,
"Honor thy children."

And, boy, are they paying for it.

When a teacher, pediatrician or therapist suggests that perhaps these
"parenting" behaviors are not helping but in fact causing harm, such
earnest parents can be hard to convince. They don't want to have to
hear that their New Age concepts for raising kids not only do not
work, but actually are prescriptions for disaster.

Let's take the constant parental praise. I first noticed it when my
three children were small, and I would hear mothers lauding their
kids' incredible artwork or rich vocabulary. I can recall one mother
who brought her 6-year-old to my office after the school observed
some social difficulties. "Isn't she scrumptious?" she said, in front
of her beaming daughter. (I made a mental note to myself: This may be
part of the problem.)

After all, there is a difference between appreciation, which is from
the heart, and flattery, which is from the mouth.

Starting in the mid-1990s, a team led by psychologist Carol Dweck did
a series of experiments on fifth-graders over a 10-year period. One
study compared two randomized groups of children in a classroom
setting. In one group, researchers attributed children's achievement
to their effort and in the other to their intelligence. Those praised
for their hard work, it turned out, were more likely to attempt
difficult tasks and performed better than those praised for
intelligence. Children who were told that innate intelligence is the
key were less likely to expend effort and take risks, perhaps because
they were trying to maintain an image that they felt was not under
their control.

A later study that Dweck conducted among seventh- and eighth-graders
confirmed these findings and found that an effort mind-set also led
to higher achievement, as measured by math grades.

More-serious concerns were raised by a 1996 review of 200 studies on
self-esteem by Roy Baumeister, a psychologist at Florida State
University. Rather than promoting success, he found that an
"unrealistically positive self-appraisal" was linked to aggression,
crime and violence.

It all makes a therapist long for the days of the good old
inferiority complex. And for parents who could put children in their
place. Some interesting research on interpersonal attraction has
shown that self-confidence in combination with some degree of
vulnerability makes a person more appealing to others. Unshakable
self-regard is a liability. And dominance is the kiss of death.

Over-parented and under-disciplined children can also have trouble
later as young adults with the process of separating from home and
creating an independent life. Kids who were constantly praised often
become thin-skinned adults who have trouble taking negative feedback
on their job or in their personal lives. And I have had more than one
client over the years who was positively indignant when a boss
expected him or her to be at work on time and to call in sick only
when necessary.

Kids who were told, "You can do anything," may have extremely high
expectations that can be hard to attain in our multifaceted modern
lives. In her 2006 book, "Generation Me," Jean Twenge, a psychologist
at San Diego State University, documented an enormous rise in young
people's expectations from the late '60s to the late '90s. Twenge
refers to a quote from the character Tyler Durden in the movie "Fight
Club": "We've all been raised on television to believe that one day
we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we
won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very
[ticked] off."

Maybe it wouldn't be so painful if parents would sign on to the
following manifesto: Let's expect more help from our kids around the
house and withdraw some of our frenetic investment in their academic,
sporting and social achievements. Let's shore up boundaries and let
them be kids in the kid zone. And let's allow them to experience some
of life's disappointments. Let's talk on the phone and go out on
weekends with our friends. Let's start worrying less whether our kids
are happy all the time and more about whether we are enjoying them
and ourselves. Let's get a life in the parent zone. And last but not
least, let's resurrect an old concept: Father and Mother Know Best. ?