[Rhodes22-list] Reply to Dan about Roller Furling Question

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Fri Sep 14 20:18:51 EDT 2007

Dan:

What you fail to mention is the year of the boat that you are negotiating
over.  I have a 1984 boat with Stanley's furling system and 175.  Works fine
for me.  I am not a racer and I believe that I am able to maintain
reasonable sail shape even when furled.

Others are more fussy or technically oriented.  Then you may want a system
that allows different sails.  That is either the CDI or best one on the
water, Harken.  Base the decision on your expectations, experience and
wallet.

Why does year matter?  How much do you want to spend on an older boat.  If
your boat is less than 5 years old, well, then it is a heirloom anyway, so
then it is how much do you want to give the grandkids?

If you have the money, want to change sails and want the best, order Harken
00.

As to music, you asked a question to which you have many experts and music
lovers on this forum.  I would say more so than technical racing sailors.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA
addendum:  "tumblehome - the opposite of flare, with the topsides narrowing
as they rise"